Maggie is the founder of Portsmouth poetry and music club, Tongues&Grooves, set up in 2003 with the aim of empowering people to express themselves through poetry and music. In 2013 she was chosen by the Poetry Book Society to represent Portsmouth on the T S Eliot Poetry Prize Tour. She won the 2013 Ted Hughes Award for New Work in Poetry for her live literature production, ‘Zones of Avoidance’.
Maggie has provided creative writing workshops for organisations including The Poetry School, Anvil Arts, MIND, Mayflower Theatre, HMP Erlestoke, St James’ Hospital, as well as poetry and performance workshops including at New Theatre Royal and Kings Theatre in Portsmouth.
She has also delivered projects such as ‘Finding the Words’ for people living with dementia, ‘The Last Hour’ at the D-Day Museum, ‘Poetry for Emotional Well being’ at Portsmouth City Girls School, and ‘Hooked on Words’ at Cranstoun Community Drug Action.
Recent projects: Hampshire Festival of the Mind 2018 – writing for well-being workshops; ‘I Saw My Voice’ – writing for well-being at Portsmouth Museum; Recovery Saturdays – poetry workshops for people in recovery from addictions in Portsmouth; translation workshops at Bucharest University, Romania.
- Charcot’s Pet (Flarestack Publishing) 2003
- The Zig Zag Woman (Two Ravens Press) 2007
- Zones of Avoidance (Cinnamon Press) 2015
- Best of British – Paper Swans Press
- Fifty Ways to Fly – ed. Alison Hill
- Lyrical Beats – celebrating five years of Rhythm&Muse, ed. Alison Hill
- Said and Done – New Writing from Brittle Star (Stonewood Press)
- Images of Women (Second Light) ed. Myra Schneider & Dilys Wood
- Four Caves of the Heart (Second Light) ed. Myra Schneider & Dilys Wood
- This Island City – Portsmouth in Poetry (Spinnaker Press) ed. Dale Gunthorpe, Denise Bennett, Maggie Sawkins
- Did I Tell You? Poems for Children in Need (Wordaid) ed. Nicky Gould & Vicky Wilson
- Soul Feathers (Indigo Dreams Press)
- The Second tall-lighthouse Poetry Review
- Beyond Stigma (Sixties Press) ed. Barry Tebb
- The Book of Hopes and Dreams (Bluechrome Publishing) ed. Dee Rimbaud
- Mouth Ogres (Oxmarket Press) ed. Dave Swann & Hugh Dunkerley
- Dreaming Beasts (Krebs & Snopes) ed. Dave Swann & Hugh Dunkerley
- Writing Your Self (Continuum) ed.John Killick & Myra Schneider
- Writing Routes – A Resource Handbook of Therapeutic Writing (JKP) ed. G Bolton, V Field, K Thompson
- Her Wings of Glass (Second Light) ed. Myra Schneider, Penelope Shuttle & Dilys Wood
- Poetry Surgery
- Poetrypf (website of contemporary poets)
- Romanian National Radio Poetry Programme (mp3)
- Speak Out Poetry Project
- Diving into the Wreck
- Writing Edward King Project
- Survivors’ Poetry Workshops
- Romanian Translation Masterclass
- Linked In